Sloans started life as a coffee house in Morrisons Court, named after prominent Glasgow man Baillie John Morrison, in 1797.
Twice a week, a stagecoach would leave Morrisons Court bound for Edinburgh. The journey lasted five hours and, for a fare of 9s, each passenger was allowed to take one canvas travelling bag.
The courtyard was the scene of many famous cock-fighting contests, the sport of the day.
Once called the Arcade Café, David Sloan bought the Café at the turn of the 20th Century transforming the renamed Sloans Arcade Café into an opulent venue containing a lounge bar, several dining rooms, a cocktail bar and even an aquarium.
The Grand Ballroom was the jewel in Sloans’ crown featuring a magnificent vaulted ceiling, period marble fireplace and intricate stained-glass windows.
Many original features remain to this day in the Grade A listed building. These includes the ceramic tiled entrance, grand mahogany staircase, rich woodwork, rare acid-etched glass and ceilings heavily decorated with plaster mouldings, which have been newly-restored complete with gilt-edging and detail.
Traditionally, couples would choose their engagement rings in the adjacent Argyll Arcade before celebrating in Sloans, often holding their engagement party and wedding reception in the Grand Ballroom.
An institution of Glasgow’s social-scene for many years, Sloans would frequently host wedding receptions, parties and events.
For a guided tour of Sloans please feel free to come into the bar or pre-arrange by phoning us on 0141 221 8886.